Guidelines for Authors
Please Note: Counselor Education and Supervision (CES) utilizes the 6th edition of the American Psychological Association Publication Manual for all submissions. All manuscripts must conform to the new style guidelines. Thank you for considering CES as an outlet for your scholarly work.
Counselor Education and Supervision is dedicated to publishing manuscripts concerned with research, theory development, or program applications related to counselor education and supervision. The journal is concerned with the preparation and supervision of counselors in agency or school settings, in colleges and universities, or at local, state, or federal levels.
The journal uses an anonymous review procedure. This means that all submitted manuscripts must be prepared for blind review. Omit or mask references to specific institutions, states, or any other form of identifying information within the manuscript until your manuscript is accepted for publication and submitted in the final version. The section below describes the steps in submitting a manuscript.
Submit via email attachment to http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/ces. The editor makes final decisions regarding publication. Generally, authors can expect a decision regarding a manuscript 3 to 4 months after notification that their manuscript has been received. Following are guidelines for developing and submitting a manuscript. Manuscripts that do not conform to these guidelines will be returned to the author without review.
The Submission Cover Letter
Manuscript submission must be accompanied by a cover letter designating the type of manuscript. Manuscript types include qualitative design, quantitative design, innovative methods (must include data based evaluation of the described method), or position paper (clearly articulated position on a timely and relevant issue). The cover letter also must include a statement establishing that ethical procedures were employed and that all relevant human subjects’ considerations were observed. In addition, the cover letter must include the full contact information of all authors. The contact information must include the following information for the corresponding author: name, academic credentials, institutional affiliation or place of employment, postal mailing address, email address, and phone number. Please include the names and email addresses for all co-authors. Finally, the cover letter must include the category under which the manuscript should be published.
Categories are as follows:
- Counselor Preparation. Research and theory articles that address counselor education curriculum and the preparation, supervision, and development of counselor education students.
- Supervision. Research and theory articles on counseling supervision.
- Professional Development. Research articles and position papers related to ongoing professional development for counselors, supervisors, and counselor educators.
- Current Issues. Position papers or research relevant to counselor education and supervision. Relevant areas include diversity, accreditation, licensure, counselor function, supervision issues, and other timely topics.
- Innovative Methods. Clearly delineated and substantiated descriptions of new methods, ideas, and innovations in counselor education and supervision. Manuscripts must include a review of the literature establishing a basis for the methods, a description of the methods including the context in which the methods are used, and a qualitative or quantitative evaluation of the method.
- Pedagogy. Research and theory articles that address culturally competent theory, research, and practice focused on instruction, course design, and evaluation in the classroom, practicum, and field experience.
- Applied Practice. Field-based research articles that provide a detailed description of: the applied setting, relevant educational or supervisory practices, or application of a particular educational or supervisory theory, and the outcomes, implications, and limitations that fit the data.
- Manuscripts should be 20 to 25 pages total, including all references, tables, etc. Manuscripts must include an abstract of no more than 50 words. All manuscripts are to be double-spaced including references and extensive quotes. Allow 1″ margins on all sides.
- Manuscript should be submitted in Microsoft Word, or as RTF files. We do not accept Macintosh formats. For resubmissions only, include a cover letter with responses to reviewer and editor comments. Include also a blinded manuscript as well as a manuscript with tracked changes indicating changes made from a previous revision. Resubmissions that do not include a tracked changes version of the manuscript will be returned without review.
- Use the Publication Manual for the American Psychological Association (6th edition) as a manual for style and manuscript format, including style for all figures, tables, and references. Figures that are not camera-ready will be returned to the author and may cause a delay in publication. Authors bear responsibility for the accuracy of references tables and figures.
- Authors are encouraged to use guidelines to reduce bias in language against persons based on gender, sexual orientation, racial or ethnic group, disability, or age by referring to the sixth edition of the Publication Manual for the American Psychological Association.
- Do not submit previously published or in press material or a manuscript that is under consideration for publication in another periodical.
- Lengthy quotations (300-500 words) require written permission from the copyright holder for reproduction. Adaptation of tables and figures also requires reproduction approval. It is the author’s responsibility to secure such permission. A copy of the publisher’s permission must be provided to the journal editor immediately on acceptance of the article for publication.
- All tables and figures must be included and properly formatted within the electronic file (i.e., they will not be accepted separately). No more than 3 tables and 2 figures with each manuscript will be accepted.
For resubmissions submit one complete file prepared for blind review as well as a supplemental file of the manuscript with track changes. Manuscripts without track changes indicated will be returned without review. Submit via email attachment to http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/ces and follow instructions for electronic resubmissions.
A set of articles on a specific theme that appears periodically. A special section or issue is proposed for approval by the editorial board and if approved, coordinated by the organizer using the regular board review process. Individuals interested in developing a special section or issue should email an inquiry to the editor.