Guidelines for Authors
This publication is the flagship journal for counselor educators and supervisors. Below are the Guidelines for Authors, the Editorial Board, and Reviewers' evaluation forms for various types of articles submitted to the journal.
If you need to access current and past issues of CE&S, login to the ACA website (www.counseling.org), click On Line Journals and scroll down until you locateCounselor Education and Supervision.
Guidelines for Authors
The Submission Cover Letter
Categories are as follows:
- Counselor Preparation. Research and theory articles that address counselor education curriculum and the preparation, supervision, and development of counselor education students.
- Supervision. Research and theory articles on counseling supervision.
- Professional Development. Research articles and position papers related to ongoing professional development for counselors, supervisors, and counselor educators.
- Current Issues. Position papers or research relevant to counselor education and supervision. Relevant areas include diversity, accreditation, licensure, counselor function, supervision issues, and other timely topics.
- Innovative Methods. Clearly delineated and substantiated descriptions of new methods, ideas, and innovations in counselor education and supervision. Manuscripts must include a review of the literature establishing a basis for the methods, a description of the methods including the context in which the methods are used, and a qualitative or quantitative evaluation of the method.
- Pedagogy. Research and theory articles that address culturally competent theory, research, and practice focused on instruction, course design, and evaluation in the classroom, practicum, and field experience.
- Manuscripts should be 20 to 25 pages total, including all references, tables, etc. Manuscripts must include an abstract of no more than 50 words. All manuscripts are to be double-spaced including references and extensive quotes. Allow 1″ margins on all sides.
- Manuscript should be submitted in Microsoft Word, or as RTF files. We do not accept Macintosh formats. For resubmissions only, include a cover letter with responses to reviewer and editor comments. Include also a blinded manuscript as well as a manuscript with tracked changes indicating changes made from a previous revision. Resubmissions that do not include a tracked changes version of the manuscript will be returned without review.
- Use the Publication Manual for the American Psychological Association (6th edition) as a manual for style and manuscript format, including style for all figures, tables, and references. Figures that are not camera-ready will be returned to the author and may cause a delay in publication. Authors bear responsibility for the accuracy of references tables and figures.
- Authors are encouraged to use guidelines to reduce bias in language against persons based on gender, sexual orientation, racial or ethnic group, disability, or age by referring to the sixth edition of the Publication Manual for the American Psychological Association.
- Do not submit previously published or in press material or a manuscript that is under consideration for publication in another periodical.
- Lengthy quotations (300-500 words) require written permission from the copyright holder for reproduction. Adaptation of tables and figures also requires reproduction approval. It is the author’s responsibility to secure such permission. A copy of the publisher’s permission must be provided to the journal editor immediately on acceptance of the article for publication.
- All tables and figures must be included and properly formatted within the electronic file (i.e., they will not be accepted separately). No more than 3 tables and 2 figures with each manuscript will be accepted.
manuscript with track changes. Manuscripts without track changes indicated will be returned without
review. Submit to http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/ces and follow instructions for electronic resubmissions.